Jeffrey Long, M.D.
Dr. Jeffrey Long was born in Albany, New York. He attended medical school and completed his residency in radiation oncology at the University of Iowa College of Medicine in Iowa City, Iowa. He has a subspecialty in therapeutic radiology. Dr. Long moved here from Gallup, New Mexico where he practiced radiation oncology and also worked extensively, both professionally and in public services. He has an eight page professional curriculum vitae with multiple professional publications, presentations, and research. In Houma, Dr. Long joined the Rotary and is a graduate of Leadership Terrebonne 2010. Dr. Long is married with three children. His wife Jody is an attorney. Dr. Long also has an interesting hobby. He is one of the world’s leading researchers of near-death experience. Dr. Long has studied over 3500 near-death experiences, which is by far the largest number ever scientifically studied. The results of his research were published in the New York Times bestselling book Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences. Millions of people have seen Dr. Long discuss his research on shows including the NBC Today Show, The O’Reilly Factor, The Dr. Oz Show, The History Channel, National Geographic television and on television broadcasts around the world. He has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, and Time.com. Dr. Long has also discussed his research with many community groups in the Houma area.
Dr. Long currently serves on the Houma Lung Multidisciplinary Care Team (MDC) at Mary Bird Perkins TGMC Cancer Center and is a credentialed Gamma Knife Icon (GKI) physician.
- Cancer Center or Physician Group Affiliations Mary Bird Perkins TGMC Cancer Center
- Experience and Training
Residency for Diagnostic Radiology: University of Arkansas for Health Sciences, Humana Hospital-University
Residency in Radiation Oncology: University of Iowa Hospital
- Education Medical School: University of Iowa
- Certifications American Board of Radiology
- Radiation Oncology
Mary Bird Perkins TGMC Cancer Center (Houma): (985) 876-9045
On your first visit to any Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center location, you should bring the following with you:
- Insurance cards/information about insurance policies, Medicare/Medicaid, cancer policies
- Driver’s license or other form of picture I.D.
- List of all medications you are presently taking
- List of all doctors who are involved in your care
- List of questions you would like to ask the doctor
- Please arrive 20 minutes before your appointment time to complete admission and medical history forms.