Andrew McWhorter, M.D.
Dr. Andrew McWhorter is a professor in the department of otolaryngology – head and neck surgery in the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center and is the director of the OLOL/LSU Voice Center. Dr. McWhorter is a graduate of Vanderbilt University, where he received his BE in biomedical engineering. He earned his MD from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, where he served his general surgery internship and his residency in otolaryngology – head and neck surgery, before completing his research elective at the MD Anderson Cancer Center. In 2001, he completed his fellowship in laryngology and care of the professional voice under Dr. Robert Ossoff at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine following which he joined the faculty of LSU. He has pursued further training in Belgium, France and Germany training with leaders in the field of conservation laryngeal surgery. His practice encompasses all areas of laryngology with an emphasis in laryngeal cancer. His primary areas of research are improving functional outcomes in head and neck cancer and high speed digital imaging of the larynx. Dr. McWhorter currently serves on the Head & Neck Multidisciplinary Care Team (MDC) at Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center.
- Cancer Center or Physician Group Affiliations
Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center
Our Lady of the Lake Voice Center
- Experience and Training
Residency: Johns Hopkins Medical School (Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery)
Fellowship: Vanderbilt School of Medicine
- Education Medical School: Johns Hopkins Medical School
- Certifications American Board of Otolaryngology (Otolaryngology)
Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center (Baton Rouge): (225) 767-0847
On your first visit to any Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center location, you should bring the following with you:
- Insurance cards/information about insurance policies, Medicare/Medicaid, cancer policies
- Driver’s license or other form of picture I.D.
- List of all medications you are presently taking
- List of all doctors who are involved in your care
- List of questions you would like to ask the doctor
- Please arrive 20 minutes before your appointment time to complete admission and medical history forms.