Derrick W. Spell, M.D., FACP
Dr. Derrick Spell graduated summa cum laude from McNeese State University in Lake Charles, Louisiana with a degree in biological sciences. He then earned his medical degree from the Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans. Dr. Spell completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at the Earl K. Long Medical Center. He then completed a medical oncology fellowship at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.
Dr. Spell has served as a Clinical Assistant Professor and Chief of Oncology at the Earl K. Long Medical Center from 2002-2004. He was chosen as one of the “Best Doctors” in America. He has also earned the Physician’s Recognition Award from the American Medical Association for his outstanding achievement in continuing medical education.
Dr. Spell is a strong supporter of clinical trials. During his fellowship training, he developed phase II protocols for both breast and colon patients. Dr. Spell currently serves on the Institutional Review Board for Woman’s Hospital
Dr. Spell is also very active in the Baton Rouge community. In 2006, he was elected to service on the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board. He is also on the Board of Directors for the ARC Baton Rouge Chapter and has previously served on other community boards including the Hospice Foundation of Greater Baton Rouge and the Children’s Charter School. He was named to the “Top 40 Under 40” list by the Baton Rouge Business Report.
Dr. Spell has 3 children. He enjoys spending quality time with family and friends. He is also an avid fan of LSU athletics.
- Cancer Center or Physician Group Affiliations
Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center
Louisiana Hematology Oncology Associates
Our Lady of the Lake Physician Group
- Experience and Training
Residency: LSU Health Sciences Center (Internal Medicine)
Fellowship: University of Texas Medical Branch
- Education Medical School: Louisiana State University School of Medicine
- Certifications American Board of Internal Medicine (Medical Oncology)
- Medical Oncology
Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center (Baton Rouge): (225) 767-0847
On your first visit to any Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center location, you should bring the following with you:
- Insurance cards/information about insurance policies, Medicare/Medicaid, cancer policies
- Driver’s license or other form of picture I.D.
- List of all medications you are presently taking
- List of all doctors who are involved in your care
- List of questions you would like to ask the doctor
- Please arrive 20 minutes before your appointment time to complete admission and medical history forms.