Happy Fourth of July!
- 1 cup flour
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup Crisco + 1 tablespoon Crisco
- 2-3 tablespoons COLD water
DIRECTIONS FOR BAKED CRUST
- Roll pastry and flute edges. Prick generously with fork.
- May put dry beans in single layer on bottom to keep pastry from “puffing up.”
- Bake 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
* Don’t forget to double the pie crust recipe for a flaky, golden pie top to be added after filling.
- 7-9 large tart apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Pastry for a 2-crust pie
- Deep dish or large pan
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Core apples and cut into thin slices
- Add sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Toss to combine.
- Pile apple mixture in pie plate lined with pie crust.
- Dot with butter.
- Place top crust over all. Crimp or flute edges. Cut slits in top crust to vent.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until brown. (I place a pizza pan under pie plate after first 20 minutes to catch any drippings in case pie bubbles over.)
- Use this recipe for peaches or berries. Increase flour slightly for juiciness of fruit.