John J. Tabor, Jr., M.D.
Dr. John J. Tabor, Jr. is a surgeon practicing in Baton Rouge. He received his medical degree from the LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans, where he also completed his internship and residency in general surgery. In addition, he completed a fellowship in minimally invasive surgery with a focus on robotic surgery via the da Vinci Surgical System.
Dr. Tabor is board certified in general surgery. He was the first and only surgeon in Louisiana, as well as one of very few in the country, to perform the robotic whipple procedure for the treatment of pancreatic cancer. He also has a special interest in robotic assisted surgery for the treatment of esophageal, stomach, colon/rectal and adrenal cancer as well as the treatment of benign conditions such as severe gastroesophageal reflux disease and ventral/incisional/inguinal hernias. In addition, he travels the state and country to both teach and lecture fellow surgeons on the patient benefits of robotic surgery using da Vinci technology.
Dr. Tabor is a member of the Hepatobiliary Multidisciplinary Care Team (MDC) at Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center.
- Cancer Center or Physician Group Affiliations
Mary Bird Perkins - Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center
The Surgeons Group of Baton Rouge
Health Leaders Network
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center
- Experience and Training
Residency: LSU School of Medicine New Orleans
(General Surgery) Fellowship: Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center (Minimally Invasive Surgery)
- Education Medical School: LSU School of Medicine
- Certifications American Board of Surgery (General Surgery)
- General Surgery
Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center (Baton Rouge): (225) 767-0847
On your first visit to any Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center location, you should bring the following with you:
- Insurance cards/information about insurance policies, Medicare/Medicaid, cancer policies
- Driver’s license or other form of picture I.D.
- List of all medications you are presently taking
- List of all doctors who are involved in your care
- List of questions you would like to ask the doctor
- Please arrive 20 minutes before your appointment time to complete admission and medical history forms.