BATON ROUGE, La. – Mary Bird Perkins will host eight community listening sessions to provide Cancer Center healthy equity professionals with feedback on barriers to cancer care, healthcare experiences and support services needed in the North Baton Rouge community.
Residents living in the following zip codes are invited to participate: 70802, 70805, 70806, 70807, 70811, 70812, 70814 and 70815. Cancer survivors, cancer patients and cancer caregivers are also encouraged to attend. Sessions will be held:
- Feb. 27, 5:30 p.m., Jewel J. Newman Community Center, 2013 Central Rd., Baton Rouge, LA 70807
- March 7, 11 a.m., Living Faith Christian Center, 6575 Winbourne Ave. Baton Rouge, LA 70805
- March 8, 11 a.m., Cancer Services, 550 Lobdell Ave. Baton Rouge, LA 70806
- March 13, 5:30 p.m., Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave. Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- March 14, 11 a.m., Jewel J. Newman Community Center, 2013 Central Rd., Baton Rouge, LA 70807
- March 20, 11 a.m., Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington St., Baton Rouge, LA 70802
- March 27, 6 p.m., Mt. Bethel Baptist Church, 13530 Scenic Hwy., Baton Rouge, LA 70807
- April 1, 11 a.m., Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church, 185 Eddie Robinson, Dr. Baton Rouge, LA 70802
As part of the listening sessions, participants will engage in a conversation by sharing their experiences and viewpoints, led by a professional facilitator. Information shared will remain anonymous, but be used to address key concerns related to access to cancer care. Participants may attend the session most convenient for them. Refreshments and giveaways will be provided at each event.
This initiative is supported by The Alliance for Equity in Cancer Care, an initiative funded by Merck Foundation and Genentech. Special thanks to The Maxine Firm for event facilitation support.
For more information, contact Nicole Honore’ at (225) 215-1250.
About Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center is a regional cancer care organization that has been fighting cancer for more than 50 years. The cancer care organization provides care at 10 centers in Baton Rouge, Covington, Gonzales, Hammond, Houma, Opelousas, Slidell, and Natchez, Mississippi, and its service area encompasses southeast Louisiana and southwest Mississippi regions. Mary Bird Perkins has a strategic affiliation with OneOncology and the largest radiation and medical oncology groups from across the area including exclusive partnerships with Southeastern Louisiana Radiation Oncology Group, which provides radiation therapy throughout Mary Bird Perkins’ service areas, Northshore Oncology Associates, serving St. Tammany and Washington Parishes, specifically the communities of Covington and Slidell and Louisiana Hematology Oncology Associates, which services the Greater Baton Rouge area. For more information, please visit www.marybird.org.