To Be Held Saturday, June 1
(Covington, La.) – Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center at St. Tammany Parish Hospital is hosting an educational forum about breast cancer Saturday, June 1 at the St. Tammany Parish Hospital Conference Center, 1202 S. Tyler Street, Covington. The event, which starts at 8:30 a.m. and ends at noon, is free and open to the public.
The forum will bring together medical oncologists and surgeons to focus on understanding and incorporating the latest research to strengthen collaborative treatment approaches and enhance patient care. Following the presentations and discussions, attendees can visit a wellness resource fair which will highlight products and services that specifically help breast cancer survivors: acupuncture, yoga, tai chi, massage, counseling support services, lymphedema therapy and nutrition.
“Our hope is that attendees will leave the event feeling more informed about their health and the complexities of breast cancer as well as more empowered to make healthy lifestyle choices,” said Jane Freudenberger, licensed clinical social worker at the Cancer Center.
The schedule of events includes:
8:30 a.m. – Breakfast and registration
9 a.m. – Presentations
- Celeste Lagarde (surgeon)
- Richard Celantano (plastic surgeon)
- James Carinder (hematology/oncology)
- Rebecca Guidry (physicist)
- Robin Brookter, LOTR/MHA
10:30 a.m. – Moment of Healing
- Ellen LaRocca (meditation facilitator, licensed massage therapist)
10:30 a.m. to noon – Wellness Resource Fair
- Kelly Kiviko, licensed acupuncturist
- Stephanie Fredericks, licensed massage therapist
- Angela Wilkie, certified lymphedema therapist
- Susan Giovengo, certified lymphedema therapist
- Hailey Tanner, dietitian
- Erlinda Nye, yoga and Tai Chi instructor
- Wendy McKee, certified yoga instructor
- Phyllis Sales, Still Me boutique
- Staff, Women’s Pavilion, Breast Health awareness and education
Advance registration for this free event is encouraged. For more information and to register, please contact Jane Freudenberger, MSW, LCSW, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 985-276-6832.
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center at St. Tammany Parish Hospital provides comprehensive cancer care that strives to positively impact the lives of cancer patients and their families on the Northshore. Services include chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery, as well as patient navigation, clinical trials and free community screenings. Not only do patients have access to these vital cancer services and high quality cancer care, but these services are readily available close to home.